Cannabis tea can be made from many different ingredients:
- An infusion of dry flowers and water — typically less psychoactive because THC is not water-soluble.
- A mixture of cannabis infused with fat (e.g., coconut oil, butter, and/or dairy) combined with tea leaves and water to make a chai or latte-type drink.
- A mixture of regular tea leaves and water heated with an alcohol-based extraction (such as a tincture) added to it.
First do the decarboxylation of your herb. During the process of decarboxylation, the non-psychoactive compound THCA is converted to the compound THC, activating its medicinal and psychoactive properties. The heat applied to cannabis when smoking or vaporizing provokes decarboxylation without any extra effort on our part. When making edibles, the process naturally occurs when the cannabis is cooked with butter or oils, or when hash and kief are added to a favorite recipe and then heated on the stove.
If you choose to decarboxylate your cannabis using a heating method before adding it to the tea, remember that the optimal time and temperature for decarboxylation may vary depending on the amount of moisture in your product, how much product you use, and the heat applied.
Recipe for Cannabis Tea Latte
Makes about 4 (6 oz.) servings
- 6 grams decarboxlyated fresh ground flowers or 12 grams of decarboxlyated fresh sugar/fan leaves, finely chopped.
- 2 cups hemp milk or other full fat milk (choose a milk with at least 8 grams of fat per serving).
- 1/8 stick of butter, softened, or ¼ cup coconut oil, melted (fat helps to extract THC).
- 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Dry tea leaves + tea infuser.
- 1 cup water.
- 4 tablespoons honey.
- Dash of cinnamon or other spice for each serving.
- Add the cannabis, hemp milk, fat of choice, and vanilla extract to a blender and mix thoroughly.
- Once blended, allow the mixture to sit for about 1 hour at room temperature.
- Add this mixture to a sauce pot, fill your metal tea infuser with your favorite tea leaf blend, add water, and stir.
- Cover and simmer over med-low heat for 15-20 minutes, reducing heat if the mixture starts to boil.
- Remove from heat (strain the pulp).
- Pour into your favorite mug, add 1 tablespoon of honey, and top with a dash of cinnamon.
Your cannabis tea latte is ready to serve!